For any person to lawfully marry in the State of Hawaii, a license for that purpose must be obtained from an authorized agent (Section 572-1.7, Hawaii Revised Statutes). Once the license has been issued, there is no waiting period before the marriage can take place.
A marriage license and marriage certificate are different documents. The marriage license permits a marriage to take place. The marriage certificate indicates that a legal marriage has been performed.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE
To apply for a marriage license online, visit https://emrs.ehawaii.gov/emrs/public/home.html
Instructions on how to apply using the electronic marriage license system above can be found below.
The marriage license application form is available in PDF format above link.The completed application form must be filed in person with the marriage license agent. Mailed, emailed, or faxed marriage licensed application forms will not be accepted.
- The prospective applicants must appear together in person before a marriage license agent to apply for a marriage license. Proxies are not allowed.
- To view a list of marriage license agents who have agreed to have their information posted below, under where to apply for marriage license.
- The prospective applicants should be prepared to provide the necessary proof of age and present any required written consents and approvals. All of the necessary documents should be obtained prior to applying for a marriage license.
- The prospective applicants must prepare an official application and file the application in person with the marriage license agent. The application may be completed online or printed form. The application will not be accepted if sent by either postal mail or e-mail.
- Upon approval, a marriage license is issued at the time the application is made.
- The marriage license is good only in, but is valid throughout, the State of Hawaii.
- The marriage license expires 30 days from and including the date of issuance, after which it automatically becomes null and void.
Marriage License COSTS
The marriage license fee is $60.00 (plus $5.00 administrative cost). The fee may be paid online or in-person at the time the application is submitted to a marriage license agent. Make marriage license appointments early with a licensed agent listed below.
Marriage License ELIGIBILITY & Requirements
- There are no state residence or U.S. citizenship requirements.
- Blood tests are not required.
- The legal age to marry is 18 years for both applicants.
- Applicants of 16 or 17 years of age who wish to marry require the written consent of both parents, legal guardian, or the family court. The parents or legal guardian do not have to be residents of the state. Consent forms may be obtained from a marriage license agent.
- Applicants of 15 years of age who wish to marry require the written consent of both parents or legal guardian, and the written approval of a judge of the family court. The parents or legal guardian do not have to be residents of the state. Consent forms may be obtained from a marriage license agent.
- Proof of age is required. A certified copy of a birth certificate must be presented for anyone 18 years of age or under. A valid I.D. or driver’s license may be presented for anyone 19 years of age or over.
- If previously married, proof of original divorce decree or death certificate needs to be presented to the marriage agent by the applicant if the divorce or death was final within 30 days of applying for a marriage license.
- Cousins may marry. However, the blood relationship between the prospective applicants cannot be closer than first cousins.
Getting Married on Maui? but you are traveling from a different country? How do we make the marriage license legal?
You will need to apply for a Apostille to get married here in Hawaii and for it to be legal in your country. See link here https://health.hawaii.gov/vitalrecords/apostilles/. You will need to call and let the marriage license agent that you are using, that you will need Apostille. Ask the agent what you need to do ahead of time (Recommend you that you do this a few month in advance.
You will also want to let your Officiant know this information as well. This link below will help you determine your countries Apostille requirements https://www.usauthentication.com/countries-us-authentication/
MARRIAGE LICENSE Agents on Maui
Make sure you make your appointment for your marriage license pick up within the first few days of your arrival on Maui. If you lived on Maui make your appointment week prior to your wedding.
Governor’s Liaison Office
– Leah Belmonte
– Michelle Ankele-Yamashita
Grand Wailea (By Appointment Only)
– Priya Landgraf
(808) 875-8459 – Wailuku / Kihei / Wailea
(808) 276-6919 – Lahaina / Kahului
(808) 875-8459 – Wailuku / Kihei / Wailea